by Apple, Big Bang Theory, Hulu, iPod, NBC, Netflix, Television, Vampire Diaries

Bella's Shelf

Should you cut the (cable) cord?

Lately I have heard of many Facebook friends “cutting the cord” & going over to “ROKU” “NETFLIX” “HULU” “APPLE TV”, etc. There are significant financial savings to this, BUT there are also disadvantages. For many of these to work you MUST have “Internet”. Unless you have gone the “Old School” path of the antenna (oh the days of free tv!). Many are combining and still pay no where near what their “Triple Play Bills” were costing them.

BEFORE you schedule your shut off ask yourself (and honestly answer) a few questions:

• How valuable is TV to you?: If you look at your Cable/Satellite bill each and every month and swear one of these days you will downgrade your package, or cut it off entirely (only if you knew of an better alternative) .then you’re ready to “cut the cable”. There is an alternative for you. Ones I believe will make you and your wallet very happy. If you watch A LOT of television shows, go to social media when your fave show is on to discuss every part of it with like minded people, countdown until a premiere or finale or special episode, then I believe “cutting the cord” is not for you. Right now anyways. Of course there are always circumstances where our preferences take a back seat. This post and the links in it will help anyone considering “cutting the cord”.
  • (A big “THANK YOU” to Beth W. for suggesting I include this as question #1. Do not forget to click on her name to go to her blog & check out it’s awesomeness.)
  • How do I want to watch TV?: Switching often requires a good, strong, (not wifi from a neighbor) broadband connection and an device strong enough to stream. If you have a laptop,  tablet, iPod, WIFI Enabled TV,etc. ask yourself: “Am I comfortable watching ALL of my TV shows and movies on this device forever?” “Do I have more than one device in case someone else wants to be online for a different reason?” “Can I afford to replace and/or fix a device that konks out? (happens A LOT more than to a TV & Cable will come out and replace/fix their products for free)”
  • When do I want to watch my favorite shows?: You cannot watch the breaking news on Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV, etc. Nor will you be able to keep up with that “must see” show (“The Walking Dead”, Series finale of “The Breaking Bad”, “The Vampire Diaries”, *insert your fave show here*). A lot of times you can find said episode the next day if you have the right app, or site to go to, or do not mind watching a “may not be legal, but I am not sure” episode download online. IF you do not mind avoiding ALL forms of social media after a big episode, avoiding others who adore the same show(s) as you until you see the episode, then you’ll honestly be a-ok.
  • What do I like to watch?: Make a list of your fave shows. Are they on network (ABC,NBC,The CW) or Cable (A&E, FX, USA)? If you can’t live without  ”NBC’s” “The Voice” or “The Big Bang Theory” then you may be able to get by with an antenna. Rabbit Ears are as little as 8$. An outdoor antenna can run you 50$. This could be bad news depending upon your address. Check out this site: ANTENNA WEB.ORG  input your address and zip code. Here you will get a very accurate idea of signal strength in your area. Cable show fanatic? Some shows stream a lot, others such as “Homeland” are not available quickly & they will cost you a few bucks via Itunes or similar sites. Die hard Sports Fans? Sorry my friend, you WILL have to stick with Cable/Satellite.
  • The Cost?: Add up all of the monthly streaming services you will use (Netflix, HULU, etc.), cost of any shows/seasons you may buy (Homeland fans need apply), Are you a Redbox type of person? Add those 1.25$ per movie costs in there too. Do not forget equipment. IF the cost is LESS than your typical Cable/Satellite bill, and you CAN live with the lifestyle change, then by all means go for it. Remember you will need to add in cost of your Internet too.

bellas shelf

How to Watch (non Cable) TV Now:

For descriptions, and prices, of the most popular streaming, and downloading, services, go to:

(This link has been a wealth of information. It breaks down EACH of the popular streaming sites, the cost, what it includes, etc. A “must have book marked link” for those considering the switch or adding to the package they already have.)

STREAMING TV

images

Bella Asks:

Are you ready to drop your Cable/Satellite company? Why or why not? If yes, what might you miss the most, the least? Was your decision based on more than a financial one? Any suggestions for others considering the same?

Bella Thanks: “REAL SIMPLE”

Enhanced by Zemanta
The following two tabs change content below.
Welcome to Bella's Shelf. May it be your home away from home too. Adventures in books, beauty, and life... Welcome to all new and returning friends!

Latest posts by Bella's Shelf (see all)

13 thoughts on “Ready to Cut the Cable Cord?

1. Maricela

Some click to read of the best for each situation aand the patient’s needs.
    In a recent study, over 80% oof what shows uup in a few of the seberal websites onn the server
    where thee website is optimized well.
    Maricela recently posted…MaricelaMy Profile

2. related web page

Watch a huge selection of Free movie downloads motion pictures and Tv shows on the internet. Eugot provides all of your favorite genres uncut, unedited, and unbelievably free — Just press play!”

3. Enbrethiliel

+JMJ+

I don’t watch any TV at all these days! At the rate I’m going, I’ll end up watching all TV shows on my PC, anyway, because they’ll be off the air and only out on DVD when I finally have some free time! =P

Still, you’re right that a TV screen makes for more comfortable viewing than a PC screen. So that would be a good consideration if I had a choice in the matter. LOL!

4. Berls @ Fantasy is More Fun

Great question! I actually have already cut the cable cord because I just never have time to watch anything when it’s actually on. So everything I watch is on hulu or netflix or HBOGo or streaming on my laptop anyway – so why pay for cable, right? Plus I share those services with my mom and brother, meaning those costs are just $7 a month to each of us (we each pay for one). My BF watches a lot of TV but everything he likes to watch is easy to just go the old fashioned atenna route (well technically its not an atenna anymore, but whatever it’s called now). So we’re saving a decent chunk of change every month by not paying for cable. Internet, on the other hand, is something I could NEVER cut.
    Berls @ Fantasy is More Fun recently posted…Life of a Blogger | Non-bookish hobbiesMy Profile

5. Cat Eyes & Skinny Jeans

To be honest, I haven’t had cable in at last 6 years now, and I love it. If I really want to see a show, I buy the season on DVD, and watch it when I WANT {as opposed to when a network wants you to watch it}. I find that, without cable, I actually get more done. Cable gives you too many opportunities to waste time and watch things out of boredom. :/

xx
    Cat Eyes & Skinny Jeans recently posted…NOTD: OPI Mariah Carey Holiday Liquid Sand in Kiss Me At MidnightMy Profile

1. Bella's Shelf Post author

Thanks for stopping by. I had a question for you: Besides DVD rentals what do you use to watch TV shows? Do you have “ROKU” or another similar service?
      Do you use your computer to watch movies or catch up on current shows?
      Is there anything you miss about NOT having TV at your “beckoned call”?
      I agree: I often waste super time watching tv. Right now I am re watching the “Breaking Bad” marathon while on my laptop doing bloggy stuff. I have been neglecting my begged for XBOX 360 JUST to watch tv. I have had it about 2-3 weeks now.
      It’s going on my “Balance My Life” in 2014 list.
      Thanks for chiming in hun <3
      Have a good one. I cant wait to see what your answers are..
      Bella’s Shelf recently posted…Cutting the Cable Cord-Forever?My Profile

6. beth w

I think the first question has to be: how valuable is TV to you? I haven’t had anything but cable internet in years. I rent my TV shows on DVD from the library, for free, or stream them via abc.com, nbc.com, etc. But I only watch 2 hours or so a week, with being busy reading, blogging, gaming, etc.

I used to work for a cable provider, so I’m a bit bitter about the rip off of current cable subscribers, too. :)
    beth w recently posted…The Belles’ Enchanted Book ExchangeMy Profile

1. Bella's Shelf Post author

I like what you said Beth, my brother in law currently works for Optimum Cable here in Ct. & while the FT Workers get FREE benefits, what he see’s as far as future price increases & benefit decreases goes, makes him mad. Sure, the FT employees are grateful for their beautiful cable service benefits, but without them? We were DROWNING. You know from experience how much a FULL package costs. 200$ PLUS! It is rising too!
      Because of you I am changing my post to include your question.
      Bella’s Shelf recently posted…Cutting the Cable Cord-Forever?My Profile